Hair not as shiny and lustrous as it used to be? This happens to most of us at some point, especially as we age. The good news is, there are ways to “detox your hair” and restore it to its original lustre and shine. In this post, we’ll tell you what a hair detox involves, as well as two of our very favorite products for getting the job done.
Before we explore how to return it to a more shiny and lustrous state, let’s first talk about what makes hair look dull and less shiny in the first place.
Dull Hair Causes
- Lacking key nutrients in your diet, including fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, potassium, and magnesium
- Improper hair care
- Sun exposure
- Heat damage
- Product buildup
- Cold and/or dry air
Now, let’s get back to what detoxing your hair means and whether it’s really an option.
Is Hair Detox a Thing?
The answer is yes: hair detox is a thing. It involves clearing your scalp and hair from built up product, oil, sweat, grease, and other debris that can weigh hair down, making it look dull and lifeless.
There are different ways of doing this and the right one for you can depend on a few things. For starters, the texture of your hair, the specific issues you’re dealing with, the products you use, and more.
Next, let’s talk about some of the steps for detoxing your hair you might want to try!
Hair detox masks
Healthline shares this recipe for an easy at home hair detox mask that only involves five steps, as well as easily accessible ingredients:
- Bentonite clay powder. This powder has a high concentration of minerals, including silica, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and potassium. It also absorbs and purges clogged pores, including heavy metals, impurities, and chemicals.
- Apple cider vinegar. It’s rich in vitamins B and C and minerals for the hair. It’s also an anti-inflammatory, which can help with dandruff.
- Aloe vera gel. The proteolytic enzymes in this gel may help repair dead skin cells on the scalp. It’s also a great conditioner and prevents itching.
- Combine 1/2 cup each of bentonite clay powder, apple cider vinegar, and aloe vera gel.
- Spread generously throughout hair, applying on the scalp as well.
- Place a shower cap on and sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Don’t let the mixture dry out.
- Rinse your hair with 1 cup of white vinegar and allow it to sit for at least 1 to 3 minutes, then use a clarifying shampoo.
- Follow with a shine boost rinse or detox hair soak immediately after.”
Oil scalp massage
Another option to consider is an oil scalp massage. If your scalp is dry or itchy, a scalp massage with nourishing oil can not only help balance your scalp, but also restore shine and lustre to your hair.
Depending on your specific concerns, here are some types of oil you might use for your scalp:
- Mineral oil and sunflower oil help your hair shine.
- Coconut oil is helpful for those with dry, damaged hair.
- If your hair is particularly thick, over-processed or damaged, olive oil is an excellent choice.
- Itchy scalp? Give a jojoba oil scalp massage a try!
- For overall scalp and hair health, argan oil is the way to go.
Along with these oils, there are all kinds of essential oils to choose from that can treat your hair and scalp concerns.
Steps for Detoxing Your Hair
Along with the methods we just covered, there are other steps that can help you keep your hair detox efforts going strong.
For starters, it’s important to use high-quality products suitable for your hair type. If you aren’t sure which products are right for you, speak with your stylist to find out.
Another helpful component is utilizing a scalp scrubber when you wash your hair. This helps you get a great lather with your shampoo, and it also helps clear the scalp and hair follicles of debris. Not to mention, it just feels great!
To keep your hair as healthy as possible, steer clear of heat styling whenever possible. We know there are times when styling your hair with heat is necessary, so just be sure to use a heat protectant when you do. These products come in sprays, lotions, and serums, and they help shield your hair from heat damage.
Use Loreal Metal Detox and Oribe Masque
We promised to tell you about two of our favorite products that help detox hair and restore shine, and now’s the time!
L’Oreal Metal Detox
L’Oreal’s innovative Metal Detox line uses glicoamine, a molecule small enough to penetrate and neutralize metal inside the fiber and detoxify hair. The three-step salon protocol includes:
- Metal neutralizer PROFESSIONAL PRE-TREATMENT: Neutralizes metal before color, balayage and lightening.
- Anti-metal cleansing cream PROFESSIONAL SHAMPOO: Detoxifies the hair after the service.
- Anti-deposit protector PROFESSIONAL CARE & MASK: Prevents new particles from coming back.
They also offer an at-home option, which includes:
- Anti-metal cleansing cream.
- Anti-deposit protector mask.
Another product we love is from Oribe, the leading luxury purveyor of salon-quality hair care. This post-color treatment will nourish freshly colored hair, bringing out it’s optimal luminance while helping to maintain rich, lasting color between normal color services.
Click here to learn more about this treatment.
Hair Detox: Things You Should Avoid
If you’re trying to detox your hair and keep it as healthy as possible, there are also a number of things you should avoid.
Here are the big ones to avoid to keep your hair healthy, detoxed, and strong:
- Excessive heat styling (especially without heat protectant)
- Using shampoos and conditioners with sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate (These can weigh your hair down, making it look dull and lifeless)
- Shampooing too frequently
- Skipping regular trims
Your Best Hair Ever from Anushka Salon
Healthy hair is the foundation for a head of hair you love, and we’re here to help you achieve all of your hair goals. From helping your hair look healthy and strong to finding a cut and color you love, we’re experts at everything hair.
Anushka Spa & Salon are a team of experienced stylists in West Palm Beach specializing in a variety of hair treatment formulations, each developed with specific results in mind. Your stylist may suggest a reparative treatment, a moisturizing blend or perhaps a color-enhancing serum. They will custom-blend a treatment ideal for your hair type, texture and state. The correct, customized hair treatment will restore your healthy, lush tresses.
Ready to get started?
Click here to book an appointment online!