Winter is coming up faster than many of us would like to admit. And with each new season, we also see new hair trends start to emerge. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with what’s hot and what’s not, but we’ve got you covered for winter hair color trends.
Check out our favorite winter shades, sure to make a statement this season!
Our Favorite Winter Shades
- Burgundy: This deep, rich hue is perfect for winter. It looks especially stunning on those with darker hair, but can also be worn by lighter-haired ladies.
- Blonde: You can never go wrong with a classic blonde shade. Whether you’re looking for beachy waves or sleek and straight locks, this color is always in style.
- Red: If you really want to stand out this winter, why not try a red shade? From fiery ginger to deep crimson, there’s a red hue out there for everyone.
- Brown: Brown is always a safe and flattering option if you’re not looking to make too much of a change. Plus, it’s easy to maintain and can be worn in a variety of styles.
- Midnight brunette: If you want a unique and practical shade, try a midnight brunette. This color is perfect for those who want to embrace their dark side and add depth and dimension to their hair.
What hair colors are good for fall and winter?
We’re still going! Here are more ideas for hair colors that perfectly suit fall and winter.
- Pumpkin spice: This warm, golden hue is perfect for fall. It’s also a great way to add a little bit of color if you’re usually a blonde or brunette.
- Smokey gray: This ashy shade is perfect for winter. It looks best on those with cool-toned skin but can be worn by anyone who wants to make a statement.
- Platinum blonde: If you’re looking for a dramatic change, why not go platinum blonde? This bold shade is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it’s sure to turn heads.
- Rich chocolate brown: This deep, chocolate brown shade is gorgeous for winter. It’s flattering on all skin tones and gives hair a beautiful shine.
Winter Hair Colors for Short Hair
We also have some ideas specifically for those of us who are rocking a shorter ‘do!
- Pixie cut: If you have a pixie cut, try adding some highlights for a winter-friendly pop of color.
- Bob: A classic bob looks great with any hair color, but we especially love it with a rich chocolate brown or a deep burgundy.
- Undercut: An undercut is a great way to add some edge to your look. We love it with a smokey gray or platinum blonde shade.
Winter, Summer, Fall, and Spring Skin Tones
Have you ever been told you have a winter skin tone? Or maybe you’ve been told you have a summer skin tone? But what does that even mean?
First, let’s start by discussing Color Analysis, AKA: skin tone color matching, and what it has to do with choosing the most flattering hair color for you. Although this concept is often targeted toward choosing clothing and accessories in colors that suit you best, it can also help determine which hair colors will look best on you.
In a nutshell, your skin tone can be classified as either “cool” or “warm.” And no, we’re not talking about the temperature. We’re talking about the actual tones in your skin.
- Cool skin tones have blue, pink, or red undertones
- Warm skin tones have yellow, olive, or peach undertones
Usually, you can tell if you have a cool or warm skin tone by looking at the veins in your wrist. You have a warm skin tone if they appear to be more green or olive. You have a cool skin tone if they appear to be more blue or purple. If your veins tend to look blue-green, you’re likely to have a neutral tone.
Undertones and Hair Color
Now that you know what “undertone” means, let’s talk about how it affects your hair color.
If you have a cool skin tone, that means your skin looks best with colors that also have cool undertones. These include hues like ash blonde, platinum, smokey gray, and burgundy. On the other hand, if you have a warm skin tone, that means your skin looks best with colors that have warm undertones. These include shades like golden blonde, caramel, chocolate brown, and copper red.
Now, if you fall in the neutral category, you’re in luck! That means you can rock any hair color under the sun.
It’s helpful to keep your undertone in mind when choosing a hair color because it can help you narrow down your options and select a shade that will look best on you.
Winter Skin Tones
If you have a winter skin tone, you likely have cool undertones. This means that hair colors with cool undertones, like ash blonde, platinum, smokey gray, and burgundy, will look best on you.
If you’re not sure what color to choose, we recommend going for a smokey gray or a deep burgundy. These shades are perfect for winter and will definitely make a statement.
(Check out these hairstyles to make you look younger next)
Summer Skin Tones
If you have a summer skin tone, you likely have warm undertones. This means that hair colors with warm undertones, like golden blonde, caramel, chocolate brown, and copper red, will look best on you.
If you’re looking for a hair color that’s perfect for summer, we recommend choosing a caramel or copper red shade. These colors will complement your skin tone and make you look radiant.
Fall Skin Tones
If you have a fall skin tone, that means you likely have neutral undertones. This means that any hair color will look great on you. But if we had to choose, we recommend picking a chocolate brown or a burgundy shade. These colors are perfect for fall and will definitely make you stand out in a crowd.
Spring Skin Tones
If you have a spring skin tone, you might have warm undertones. This means hair colors with warm undertones, like golden blonde, caramel, chocolate brown, and copper red, will look best on you.
We recommend choosing a golden blonde or a caramel shade for spring-friendly hair color. These colors will complement your skin tone and make you look fresh and radiant.
Keep in mind, this is a very basic beginner’s guide to understanding your skin tone and how it can affect your hair color. There are additional categories you might explore in more detail, including terms like “clear winter,” or “deep autumn” that can help you further understand which colors will look best on you. But for now, we hope this guide has helped get you started on your hair color journey!
Caring for Your Hair in Winter
Regardless of the color of your hair, winter can take a toll on your health of it. With that in mind, let’s dive into some comprehensive tips on how to take care of your hair during the winter months.
Choosing the right products
First and foremost, you’ll want to ensure you’re using a shampoo and conditioner designed for your specific hair type. For example, if you have dry or damaged hair (which many of us do in the winter), look for a hydrating shampoo and conditioner that will help nourish and revitalize your strands. For oily hair, choose a clarifying shampoo to help remove excess oil and build-up. And for normal hair, any gentle shampoo and conditioner will do the trick.
In addition to using the right shampoo and conditioner, you should also be using a deep conditioning treatment once or twice a week. This helps keep your hair hydrated and prevents winter damage.
You might also want to consider using a leave-in conditioner or an oil treatment. These products can help seal in moisture and protect your hair from the winter elements.
We recommend using a heat protectant spray before you blow dry or style your hair with heat tools when it comes to styling. This will help prevent damage caused by winter weather and keep your hair looking healthy all season long.
Lastly, be sure to use a gentle brush when brushing your hair. Winter weather can make your strands brittle, so avoid any tugging or pulling that could cause breakage.
Washing your hair less often
One of the best things you can do for your hair in winter is to wash it less often. Washing your hair daily can strip it of natural oils that protect your strands from damage. So instead, aim to wash your hair 2-3 times per week.
If your hair gets oily quickly, try using a dry shampoo in between washes. This will help absorb excess oil and leave your hair looking fresh and clean.
Winter-proofing your hair routine
By following these simple tips, you can winterproof your hair routine and keep your strands looking healthy all season long. Then, try one of these winter hair color trends to keep your hair looking fresh and on-trend. So don’t let the cold weather cramp your style – with a bit of extra care, you can rock any hair color you want this winter!
And remember, Anushka Hair Salon is here to help with all your winter hair needs. From color treatments to styling, we’ve got you covered. So contact us today to book an appointment!