You love the plumped lip look. Whether it’s soft and subtle or a bolder lip with red lipstick. Having your dream lips is something that’s definitely achievable! While you know you have options when it comes to getting the lips you want. Which one is right for you? That’s a question we get a lot which is why we’re here to compare lip flip vs. filler.
Comparing Lip Flip vs. Filler
These non-surgical injections are similar in that they both give you a fuller lip, they’re different in a few ways. There are pros and cons to each and depending who you are and what you’re looking for, one may be slightly better than the other. Here’s the lowdown!
The name lip flip is quite self-explanatory. Basically, a lip flip uses Dysport or Botox to help relax the muscle in the top lip. This muscle is the orbicularis muscle.
By relaxing this muscle, the top lip also relaxes and flips outwards which in turn gives the appearance of a fuller top lip. The change is subtle which makes it a popular option for those who don’t want to use fillers to add volume.
The Botox or Dysport that is used partially freezes the muscles. It’s commonly used to freeze muscles in the face that contribute to creating unwanted lines in the face. It can also be used to treat things like TMJ or excessive sweating under the arms and with the feet or hands.
Lip Flip Pros
Here are some of the pros that go along with a Botox lip flip:
· The lip flip process is very non-invasive. It’s also one of the safest!
· It helps to amplify the natural shape of your lips rather than adding volume and changing them.
· Lip flips are a cost-effective procedure and are usually billed the same as regular Botox treatments.
You can add the lip flip onto your regular Botox treatments which is usually only an additional 4-6 units.
· You don’t need to take any down time after getting a Botox lip flip. You’ll be able to go about your day as usual after getting one and won’t see any bruising.
· A lip flip can help to fix a gummy smile.
Lip Flip Cons
In contrast to the pros that come with getting a lip flip, there are some cons you should take into consideration before going in to get one:
· The amount of time a lip flip lasts isn’t as long as filler. The maximum is about 4-6 weeks since the lips are something we use a lot for talking, eating, making facial expressions, and more. You will need to practice upkeep in order to maintain the look of your lips. This can also be a good thing for those who simply want to try out the look of fuller lips and see if they’re something they want long term.
· The overall look and results of a lip flip can take some time to show. Complete results don’t usually come until about a week after you get the treatment.
· While there isn’t any down time after the treatment it’s possible to experience some short-term swelling and numbness.
As another option for fuller lips, there’s lip fillers. Fillers are used to fill in lost volume in the face and treat fine lines and wrinkles. So instead of creating the illusion of a fuller lip like the lip flip, lip fillers actually add volume to the lips.
Lip fillers are made up of a clear, hyaluronic acid gel that helps to create the fuller look when injected. Hyaluronic acid attracts water which ends up helping to keep your lips moisturized and healthy.
To choose the best lip filler you should consult an expert. They can chat with you to help determine your aesthetic goals and then help you choose the right option depending on the look you’re going for.
Lip Filler Pros
Now that you know more about what lip fillers are, let’s talk pros:
Lip filler lasts a long time with anywhere up to a year.
Unlike getting a lip flip, your lips aren’t giving the illusion that they’re full. They are actually plumper in shape and size. The lines around them also become smoothed.
Lip fillers are super safe because they use an acid that is already naturally found in the body.
The amount of volume that gets added to the lips can be controlled since it’s up to you how much you want to inject.
You can see results almost instantly.
Lip Filler Cons
While there are plenty of pros to getting lip fillers. There are some cons that come with getting them as well:
· Lip fillers can be on the pricier side, especially since you pay per syringe. However, you can weigh the costs against the amount of time that it lasts for since it is known to last for a long time.
· There can be some side effects from lip fillers. These include swelling, bruising, bumps, and redness, although these side effects don’t usually last any longer than a month.
Lip Flip vs. Filler: Can You Combine the Two?
You may or may not be surprised to know that you can combine a lip flip with filler! This can be a good option for someone who has super thin lips and is looking for a bigger change. Before you decide on this option, you should consult a professional and see if a combination of the two is the way to go.
Maybe you’re a lot clearer on what option is going to be best for you when it comes to adding volume to your lips. Or maybe you’re still questioning which one suits you and your needs best.
Either way, our specialists at Anushka Med Spa are ready to help you find the best solution for your lips and give you the look you’ve always wanted! Be sure to check out our lip fillers Q&A or contact us to set up your consultation.