Finding a skincare routine that suits you and your unique skin is critical for achieving your healthiest skin ever! One option more and more people are exploring is a natural skincare routine. Of course, this can mean different things, but today we’ll tell you about some of the approaches for this method, ingredients to look for in natural skincare products, and what to avoid.
What is a Natural Skincare Routine?
When we say natural skincare, we mean products that are made with ingredients from nature and do not contain synthetic chemicals. This can also include natural or organic certification labels.
There are a few different approaches to natural skincare:
- Whole food nutrition for your skin
- Using natural ingredients topically
- Both of the above!
Nutrition for Your Skin
Let’s start by talking about nutrition for your skin. Just like the food you eat affects your overall health, the food you eat also affects your skin health!
Certain nutrients are particularly beneficial for healthy skin so it makes sense to incorporate them in your natural skincare routine:
- Vitamin A: When it comes to skin, vitamin A is an antioxidant that helps protect the skin from damage and can also help reduce wrinkles. Vitamin A can is found in foods like sweet potatoes, carrots, and leafy green vegetables.
- Vitamin C: This is yet another vital antioxidant for skin health. It can help reduce inflammation and the appearance of wrinkles. Vitamin C is in citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers, and broccoli.
- Vitamin E: You guessed it – vitamin E is an antioxidant! It helps to protect the skin from damage and can also help to reduce the appearance of scars. Vitamin E can be found in nuts, seeds, and leafy green vegetables.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are key for maintaining the cell membranes that protect your skin cells. They can also help to reduce inflammation. You’ll find them in oily fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines, as well as in flaxseeds, chia seeds, and walnuts.
- Zinc: This mineral helps protect the skin from damage and can also help to reduce inflammation. Zinc can be found in oysters, beef, lamb, pumpkin seeds, and cashews.
If you want to improve your skin health from the inside out, focus on including these nutrients in your diet.
Other Ways to Support the Skin from the Inside Out
In addition to these nutrients, there are a few other things you can do to support healthy skin from the inside out.
Drink plenty of water
Staying hydrated is crucial for overall health, including your skin’s health! So make sure you drink plenty of water daily to keep your skin cells plump and hydrated.
Get enough sleep
Good sleep is a must for overall good health, including your skin’s health. When you don’t get enough rest, it can show up in the form of under-eye bags and a dull complexion. So make sure you’re getting enough shut-eye every night.
Manage stress levels
Stress can seriously affect your entire body, including your skin. When you’re feeling stressed, try some relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation to help reduce stress levels.
Now that we’ve covered nutrition for your skin, let’s talk about natural ingredients that you can use topically to support healthy skin!
Topical Natural Ingredients for Healthy Skin
There are a few different natural ingredients that can be used topically to support healthy skin:
- Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for acne-prone skin types. It can also help balance your skin’s pH.
- Baking soda can help to exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells. Some people find it can also reduce the appearance of scars.
- Coconut oil is a great natural moisturizer for the skin. You might notice it helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, too.
- Honey has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for acne-prone skin. It can also help to moisturize the skin.
- Lavender oil can help to reduce the appearance of scars. It can also help to soothe irritated skin.
How to Incorporate These Ingredients Into Your Natural Skincare Routine
There are a few different ways you can use these natural ingredients on your skin:
- You can make a natural face mask by combining one or more of these ingredients with water or other base ingredients like yogurt or oatmeal.
- You can try adding a few drops of lavender oil to your bathtub for a relaxing and skin-soothing experience.
- Applying coconut oil to your skin as a natural moisturizer.
When using natural ingredients on your skin, you must do a patch test first to ensure you’re not allergic to any of them. To do a patch test, apply a small amount of the ingredient to a small skin area. Then, wait 24 hours to see if there’s any reaction. If there is no reaction, it should be safe to use on your face or body. However, to be safe, we always recommend speaking with a doctor or your medical aesthetician before using any natural ingredients on your skin.
Ingredients to Avoid in Your Natural Skincare Routine
There are a few natural ingredients that you should avoid using on your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin:
- Lemon juice: Due to its acidity, it can irritate your skin. If you decide to use it, make sure to dilute it well with water.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil can be very irritating to the skin. If you do decide to use it, make sure you dilute it well with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Cinnamon: This can be very irritating to the skin. If you try it, make sure to dilute it well with water or another base ingredient.
Now that we’ve covered nutrition for the skin and natural ingredients for the skin, let’s talk about some natural lifestyle changes you can make to support healthy skin.
Natural Lifestyle Changes for Healthy Skin
There are a few different natural lifestyle changes you can make to support healthy skin:
- Wear sunscreen: Wearing sunscreen is one of the best things you can do for your skin. Sun exposure can cause damage to the skin, including wrinkles, sun spots, and even skin cancer. So make sure you’re applying sunscreen every day, especially if you’re going to be spending time outdoors.
- Quit smoking: Smoking cigarettes can cause damage to the skin, including wrinkles and an increased risk of skin cancer. If you smoke cigarettes, quitting is one of the best things you can do for your skin.
- Limit alcohol consumption: Drinking alcohol can cause dehydration and dry skin. Alcohol can also enlarge blood vessels in the skin, which can cause redness and inflammation. So if you want to keep your skin looking its best, it’s wise to limit your alcohol consumption.
These are just a few natural lifestyle changes to support healthy skin! However, making even just one or two of these changes can make a big difference in the health and appearance of your skin.
Other Ways to Get Your Best Skin Ever
Using high-quality natural products and making healthy lifestyle choices is a great start to getting your best skin. But there are still some other things you can do to take your skincare routine to the next level:
- Get regular facials: This is a great way to keep your skin looking its best. Facials can help to exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells, and hydrate the skin. They can also help to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Try microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that uses a handheld device to sand down the top layer of skin. This can help improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and more.
- Use retinol: Retinol is a form of vitamin A that can be found in over-the-counter skin care products. Retinol can help minimize the look of fine lines, wrinkles, and sun damage.
Another way to improve the look of your skin without harsh chemicals is dermaplaning in West Palm Beach. This is a cosmetic treatment where the top layer of skin and hair on your face is gently “shaved” with a razor—it can help improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and more. It also helps your makeup go on smoother.
It’s important to go to a professional for this treatment, as it can be easy to cut yourself if you don’t know what you’re doing. It also reduces the chance of infection and helps ensure a better result.
Learn about the pros and cons of dermaplaning next.
Making just a few simple changes to your skincare routine can make a big difference in your skin’s health, look, and feel! So if you’re looking for ways to get your best skin ever, be sure to try some of these natural tips and tricks. Whatever your skincare goals may be, we’re excited to help you achieve them! Book with Anushka Spa today.